Migrant and Seasonal Head Start
What is Migrant & Seasonal Head Start?
It is an Early Childhood Education Program for Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker children and their families dedicated to promoting the success of their children in school and later in life. We offer a comprehensive service program for children and families that includes: Early Childhood Education, Nutrition, and Health & Wellness.
Who qualifies for the services?
Children from birth until age five years old who have not yet attended kindergarten
Families whose primary income comes from agricultural work including:
- Processing of commodities
These qualifications are defined by the Head Start Performance Standard.
Families with an income considered “low” by Federal Low Income Guidelines
All persons living in the household who are: Supported by the income of the parent(s) or guardian(s) of the participating child; Related to the parent(s) or guardian(s) by blood, marriage, or adoption; The legal guardian, defined as a person “legally responsible for the child”
***Priority consideration is available for families who have children with disabilities and may be extended to children of migrant families.***
What is considered income?
Cash income includes earned income, military income, veteran’s benefits, social security benefits, unemployment compensation, and public assistance benefits.
What are Agricultural Activities?
Activities related to the production and harvesting of tree and field crops or supports the crop production such as irrigation, crop protection, and operation of farm machinery are considered agricultural activities.
Production and harvesting of tree and field crops including preparing the soil, planting, cultivation, picking, packing, canning and processing as well as production and harvesting of greenhouse and nursery products also qualify.
What is the difference between Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker families?
- A Migrant Farmworker family is a family that has changed their residency in the past two years for the purpose of working in agricultural activities.
- Seasonal Farmworker family is a family who has maintained residency, but that their primary income comes from work related to agriculture.
What do I need to bring to have my child eligible for the program?
- Current and past rent and/or utility bills in the family name
- Any legal documentation showing the family’s residency for the past two years
- Your child’s current immunization records
- Proof of income for the past twelve months (past year) such as: W-2 Forms; Pay Stubs; Verifiable written statements from employers; Current Public Assistance Verification; Unearned income forms such as Child Support, SSI, Unemployment, Military Income, or Veteran’s Benefits
Want to see if you are eligible for our services? Fill out the form below.
Migrant Seasonal Head Start Pre-Application
Our Idaho MSHS Centers
El Castillito350 G. St.
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
(208) 524-5994 – Fax
Center Coordinator: Aide Erives